Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, February 12, 2009

"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"


Until 2005, I hated Valentine's day. I'd look at all the stores draped in red & pink (it somewhat reminded me of Pepto-Bismol), and wish I had a 'special someone' that would be sending me flowers, fixing me a nice dinner, or even just giving me a piece of chocolate. I'd even wish I had someone who I could buy a card. I didn't date much, in fact prior to 2005 there was only one Valentine's day that I had a boyfriend (pathetic, I know). Finally around 2003 I started having Valentine's day dates with myself and a nice, juicy Melvin's cheeseburger (with fries and their amazing onion rings). All that changed, though, when this guy showed up at small group in the summer of 2004. He sat across the room, and seemed to stare me down during group (or at least I caught him glancing my way more than once). Afterwards he came up and introduced himself as David, and the rest is history. Needless to say, I was thrilled when Valentine's day 2005 rolled around. It was the first time I received flowers from someone I really cared about (I did receive flowers from my boyfriend years ago, but that was a different story), he cooked dinner for me, gave me a big heart full of chocolate...and well, I married him later that year. Ever since, i've always looked forward to Valentine's day. I mean, my parents would always give me a little something (and still do), but it wasn't the same as having a 'someone special' in my life. Anyway, i'll stop now because I know this is getting a bit sappy.

The other thing that makes this time of year so great is the start of the Nascar season. Yes, I admit, I am a Nascar loving woman. Growing up my Dad always watched the race on Sunday. I always thought it was boring, but that all changed about 5 or 6 years ago. I love taking naps on Sunday afternoon after church, so i'd get all comfy on my couch and turn the TV on to give me some background noise to nap to. There was usually nothing on TV, so i'd end up turning on the race--the roaring and monotonous sound of the engines made for perfect sleeping. However, since races last four plus hours, i'd take my nap, then wake up and blankly stare at the TV. Before long I found myself getting interested and following the race. I'm now a big Junior fan--well, there are several drivers that I like. Anyway, this Sunday is the beginning of the season--the Daytona 500--and i'm looking forward to it! Okay, i'm going to end this post now--David is telling me no one is going to read it because it's too long (and maybe a bit sappy).

4 comments:

Christen said...

Go 88!!!

Bruin and Nicole Robinson said...

its not sappy, its precious!! at least the meeting david part... i'm not into Nascar. :)Hope you have a FABULOUS V-day this year.

Ashley and Darrell said...

i like your post. tell david to stop being debbie downer! i like nascar as well. my dad used to race in the amaeture leauge years ago and my house was a 1/2 mile from the charlotte motor speedway so basically it was built in me. I like david reagan. but thats only bc i know him lol.

The Cromers said...

Tell David I read every word!!! Great post. I love V-day too... Gotta love Love :)