Things have started moving this week. We notified our adoption agency over the weekend of our choice of China, and they got up set up with the team of experts that works with that country. Upon doing that they emailed us over several “booklets” of information. I will be honest—it was very overwhelming to read it all. There is so much to do and go through home study wise; I was very discouraged yesterday. And this is just dealing with all the paperwork. Of course, I also have a lot on my plate right now which is also adding in to my stress factor—David has a super important job going on at work this week which is causing late hours (and all night hours), and I have a lot going on with my IRB volunteer role at MUSC. I’m also up for CCRC (certified clinical research coordinator) re-certification this year, and true to form I have procrastinated in getting my required CEU’s which is meaning I have to crunch them all in a short window. I know this is more info than you care to know, but it’s all adding up.
Today we heard from the social worker that has been assigned to our case. She emailed me a list of paperwork that we need to print and complete first, as well as telling us we have to pay our first payment. Of course our printer hasn’t been communicating with the computer in ages, so I promptly emailed David and asked him to work on fixing this (my version of fixing computers—which I have absolutely no patience with—involves throwing them out of the window). I was super thrilled when he called me soon after and told me to toss the old printer and go buy a new one. I was immediately online reviewing printers, and after dinner Kathryn and I went out and purchased a new one. It’s one of those wireless ones—boy do I feel like I’m in heaven now. I brought it home and immediately hooked it up (luckily David got home not long after as I didn’t know what button I was supposed to push to get it to find the available wireless network—I mean, I’m REALLY computer illiterate).
Anyway, I digress. So, the paperwork is printed, and we’re signing it this evening. I’ll scan it all in tomorrow (thanks to my handy dandy new all in one printer) and email it over, as well as mail in a check. After they receive that we’ll be set up for a phone call orientation.
I will add this little note: in reviewing and signing the paperwork they give you strong warning about what you say over blogs and social media, and rightfully so. I will try to be as transparent as possible with the details and emotions, but I’m going to have to be cautious (I do admit to having a short fuse and loud mouth).

1 comment:
The paper chasing stage can be overwhelming... but you have to approach it like eating an elephant... one little bit at a time.
When we went through the process back in 2008, it took us about a year from the first steps of updating the documents and having the approved home study until we were logged in with China... but I think we were also one of the first families that our agency had that had to do the I-800a instead of the I-600 forms... so there was a learning curve in there.
Don't lose faith... it's going to be tough and even insane at times... but you have to keep your future child in mind.
God Bless,
Adam
Post a Comment