I’m going to
start off by saying I’m being very transparent in this blog post. I am not looking for people to be judgmental. I’m just going to share with you some of the
very raw emotion I’ve been having over the last few months, and how God met me head
on in the midst of all of those emotions.
I honestly
can say that I did not start off on the best foot in 2013. This year has been full of so many emotions,
it’s not even funny. I apologize for the
lengthiness of this—I will try to be succinct in explaining it all, and then
showing how God met me Thursday night in the midst of my craziness.
I think I
mentioned earlier that we started trying to have another child in June 2011. It has not happened yet. We’ve been thinking and discussing adoption
for a year now, and once we hit last June (one year of trying without getting
pregnant), we decided to pursue adoption.
There’s another long story (I think I covered it in an earlier blog
post) about why we chose adoption over fertility treatments. Anyway, I was initially fine with the idea of
adopting. As time has gone on, though,
the desire to get pregnant again has become overwhelming at times. I long to feel a baby kicking inside of me
again, and I long to have another newborn.
This has gotten harder and harder over time, especially lately as my
facebook feed has been filled with pregnancy announcements. I had 3 separate announcements come across my
feed in one week not long ago. Where I
am happy for these people, inside it eats away at me (just being honest
here). I consider myself one of the
lucky ones too in that I have a biological child. There are so many people out there who would
do (and are doing) everything they possibly can do in order to have their own
biological child. I cannot imagine—it is
a very raw emotion.
As far as
adoption goes, I feel that we are called to adopt. There is absolutely no question about
it. God has called us to do it, and we
are going down that road in faith.
However, it is not the road that I would have initially chosen for our
family. My plans were to have 2
biological children, put a bow on it, and call it a day. That is obviously not God’s plans. We all know that God’s plans are not always
our plans, and it’s best to follow God’s directions (as to not end up in the
belly of a whale). It’s amazing how we
want to fight and argue with Him over His plans, even when we know they are for
the best.
“This is God’s universe, and He does things
His way. You may have a better way, but
you don’t have a universe.” J.
Vernon McGee
Anyway, in the midst of all this emotion,
David and I have had some serious discussions about continuing with
adoption. They have been very emotional. In fact I told him the other day that if we
received an email that said the whole adoption program for the country we’re
adopting from were to shut down today, I’d say “oh well” and move on. This has saddened David greatly. It stems from the overwhelming desire to get
pregnant again, and how this is not the path I envisioned our family taking.
We have also
entered the, well, I’ll call it the “terrific two/terrific three” state around
here. A normal day includes meltdowns
over…everything. We are working hard on
the gift of listening to each other as well.
I have the tendency to shut down and just let things go when this
behavior starts (not the correct thing to do), because being consistent is
difficult, and honestly, most of the time I just do not know how to deal with
it. I see all these facebook posts where
it appears people have the most perfect family, kids, and a house that is clean
and decorated so nicely that it looks like a Southern Living show case
house. In my house, the toys are strewn
all over the floor (they are lucky if they get picked up once a week), and I
look forward to my Tues/Thurs mornings when Kathryn’s in preschool in hopes of
getting 1-2 rooms partially clean and the laundry that’s been sitting on the
guest bed for several days hung up!
Forget the dust and vacuuming is a luxury (and I have 1 kid)! All of this builds up, and talk about
frustration. This leads to my seriously
considering going back to work full time (because, in all honesty, I feel
depressed over losing that job “identity” when I worked), where I could escape
the frustration of not knowing how to handle the challenges of parenting, and I
could and would pay someone to come in once every week or two to clean my house!
These
feelings of frustration, lack of identity, and lack of accomplishment make me start
second guessing my abilities as a mother, which then make me start thinking
that I should not have any more children.
That leads into the whole adoption thing, and my questioning if I’m
really up for dealing with the issues we’ll be facing with adoption. That then leads into the whole I wish I could
just get pregnant on my own issue, which leads back to frustration, and you see
how the cycle starts to go around and around.
I think Emerson Eggerichs may call this “the crazy cycle”. You go around and around and around and
never. stop.
So, here I
was in this crazy cycle. Well, our
church has a women’s conference in January called Chosen. I do not like to attend women’s
conferences. They intimidate me. I am not a social person by any means, and
nothing turns me off more than being in a room full of women who are all
sitting with their friends, and here I am by myself. I didn’t go last year for that very purpose. I’ve always sat by myself at the other women’s
conferences, etc, I’ve attended, and felt so uncomfortable. This year, though, I kept getting an urging
to go. Finally I put out a comment on
facebook to see if anyone was going in hopes of hooking up with some ladies to
sit with to deal with the comfort issue.
I had some friends invite me to sit with them, which solved that
problem. Anyway, back to the crazy
cycle. In the midst of all my emotions,
I knew and longed for an encounter with God.
I needed him to touch my heart, heal me, and bring me to my knees. I longed for that—it has been so, so , so
very long since I’ve felt His touch. In
the 2 days prior to the conference, all I could pray was “God, meet me there”.
The day of
the conference, I saw a friend (someone who I haven’t spoken to in a long time,
and rarely see), put a comment on facebook about how she had a rough day and
was looking forward to the conference. I
remember thinking to myself that every day is a rough day, and again saying my
quick one liner prayer for God to meet me there. Well, on Thursday I also finished up
compiling the last documents for our dossier, and shipped them off, along with
several checks which totaled a pile of money, to our adoption agency. I’m still doing this in faith, even though it’s
killing me inside that this is not MY plan (which leads to more emotion). Well, David gets home from work and we
proceed to have a massive argument (over money—more specifically over fast food
for the night), and so I leave to run some errands and go to the
conference. I did not want to go. All the time while driving I convinced myself
that I was done being a SAHM, and was going back to work full time. I didn’t care what he thought, and if this
would make him pull the plug on adoption, then so be it. I finally made it to Seacoast, and remember
thinking as I walked in the door that I hoped God would meet me. I had no clue I was going to get that
encounter within the first 2 minutes.
When I
walked in the door I proceeded to get my wrist band, and then walked over to a
quiet corner and checked my email to see where I was supposed to meet my
friends. I couldn’t find the email. Then, out of nowhere, the friend I mentioned
earlier (the one with the facebook post about having a rough day and looking
forward to the conference) came up to me.
We said hello, and she proceeded to tell me that she has been praying
for our adoption and for things to move along quickly (she had known about our adoption
from my facebook posts). She asked how things were going, and I gave
the generalized answer “fine”. [Now, let
me make this disclaimer: all of these
emotions that I have written about I have kept to myself. I have not posted anything on facebook about
them, nor have I told anyone other than David.]
She then proceeded to tell me that she was having a heaviness on her
heart that a big decision needed to be made about our adoption, and she has
been praying for that decision. The tears
began to flow, and oh did they flow. She
had felt drawn to me when she saw me, and felt the prompting of the Holy Spirit
to come over and talk to me. We then
talked about the adoption thing, and the big argument that David and I had
prior to my being there. She suggested we
go into the prayer room and talk/approach God about all of this. She and another lady prayed over me (all the
while the tears were flowing), and how the Holy Spirit worked in all of that
was amazing. They confirmed that I am
supposed to be a mother (we hadn’t even talked about my frustrations there at
all), for healing and restoration with David and I and in dealing with
different viewpoints on budgeting issues, and several other things . They prayed that all of these worries would
wash away, and I literally felt them wash down my body and out of my feet. Incredible.
There He was—He met me in the first 2 minutes of walking in the
room. I am grateful for the friend that
followed the prompting of the Holy Spirit, and was open and willing to hear
Him.
Afterwards I
went on in to the auditorium for the conference. And you know what? All the anxiety about sitting with friends, wasn’t there anymore. It didn’t
matter to me who I sat with. I knew I
was in the presence of God the entire time, and that’s all that mattered. He knows my struggles, all my emotions,
and He is the only one who can fix them all.

No comments:
Post a Comment