Our Family

Our Family

Monday, June 2, 2008

"God's Trombones"

I first encountered the play "God's Trombones" (by James Weldon Johnson) back in the mid to late 1990's when an excerpt ("The Creation") was recited during a performance at church. Being a Christian, as well as a theatre major, it quickly grabbed my attention. It was around 1997 or 1998 when I first saw the play as part of Piccolo Spoleto. It made quite an impression on me! "God's Trombones" is a series of African American folk sermons that are true to scripture. About half of the "sermons" are on stories from the Old Testament, and the other half are New Testament stories.
The first time I saw it, I was one of only about 4 caucasian people in the audience. What an experience! Even as a play, the audience members were "preaching back" (per se) to the actors, and during the musical "interludes" we were all up clapping and singing along. I never knew that the song "When the Saints go Marching In" could be so much fun to sing along to, nor did I ever know that a theatrical production could be quite the worshipful experience. I have never fogotten that day when I encountered this wonderful play.
Ever since I met David, I have raved about how worshipful and wonderful this play is, and have wanted him to experience it. I have been diligently waiting for it to return to Piccolo Spoleto, so I was quite excited when I saw it on the program list. So, last night we went to see the production. There were a few "questionable" acting gestures, but other than that it was awesome. Due to the recent death of my grandmother I found myself choking back the tears during "Go Down Death" (even though it did give me a sense of peace), and ready to repent and make sure I am right with God during "The Judgement Day". If you ever get a chance to see this play, i'd highly recommend it. You can read more about it at http://docsouth.unc.edu/southlit/johnson/johnson.html

We do want to wish our friend Bruin a Happy 30th Birthday! We had a great time at his party on Saturday at Blackbeard's Cove! We've never been there, despite the fact that it's right across the street from where we live. Afterwards we enjoyed a wonderful cookout at the Dellett's! Thank you for including us in the birthday celebration! We had a blast! I'm sure Bruin and Nicole will have some fun pictures from the party up on their blog soon!

Lastly, I wanted to include a picture of David and I that was taken at the wedding we recently attended in Hendersonville (Jump Off Rock).

3 comments:

Bruin and Nicole Robinson said...

Thanks for the shout out! And for calling us out about not posting yet... :) he. he.
LOVE that picture of y'all. Blue is totally your color! you look beautiful

Ashley and Darrell said...

Great pic of yall!!! Way cute dress :)

Melissa and Christen said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. Cute picture of the two of you!