This week has had its ups and downs, as every week does. We dealt with some icky jet lag for a few days there that had us up at all hours of the night. We had 2-3 days there where we'd all wake up about 2am and stay awake until 5-6am, then fall back asleep for a few more hours. Luckily, with the help of some melatonin and time, that seems to have all passed. I believe it was Sunday night that seemed to be about the turning point for most of us (or at least the kids) as they slept through the night. Anyway, we are all slowly getting in to a routine now. Both kids are currently napping, which is a blessing as it will hopefully give me a couple of hours of peace and quiet.
We spent some time last Friday at the park with both sets of grandparents. My parents live here locally, but David's live a couple of hours away. They all came to the airport to greet us, and we wanted to give them a little bit of time to meet Evan on Friday before we officially started our "cocooning" period. We all had a good time playing and having a little picnic.
Late Friday afternoon Kathryn started running a fever. When she woke up Sat morning it was between 104-105, so I took her to the doctor that morning. She was negative for everything (strep, no signs of flu, pneumonia, or meningitis), so we figured it was just a virus. The fever broke on Mon night, so I sent her back to school yesterday. As I was getting her ready for school, I noticed she had a rash (non-raised) on her back and torso. I did a little research and concluded she either had rosella or sixth disease (David claims sixth disease)--we know it's not fifths as she had that back in Feb and that's a one time thing. I told her teacher, and she was fine with it as those rashes appear after the virus has run it's course and they are no longer contagious. The rash is totally gone today, so it looks like we're done with that.
Evan has been doing very well getting use to us and attaching/bonding. He was obviously very well loved and cared for by his foster Mom. He is still very attached to David, but our relationship is slowly coming along. With Kathryn in school 3x/week, that gives us 3 mornings where it's just the 2 of us. He does come to me, interact with me, sit in my lap, and cling to me when new people are around. I know that our relationship will strengthen over time.
He has his first cleft appointment next Tuesday. We were going to wait until after his first appt with the international adoption clinic in Dec to set that up, but I decided to go ahead and get the ball rolling. They only have 2 clinics/month with the cleft group, and thankfully they had just had a cancellation for next week when I called so I grabbed that spot. At this point I don't know when they'll want to do surgery, and if they'll do the lip first then the palate vs doing them both simultaneously. We will see what they say.
So, that's where we stand for now. I will update again soon.
![]() |
| He may have cl/cp, but he can devour a fried chicken leg with the best of them! |


No comments:
Post a Comment